SMR Start is an industry organization of potential customers and vendors investing in the development of advanced light water small modular reactors (SMRs). We believe that SMRs offer important and unique benefits in generating reliable, safe, carbon-free electricity. Our goal is to ensure that SMRs are a cost-competitive option in the future, with the first units operating by the mid-2020s. We serve as the leading industry organization for SMR advocacy, delivering a clear and integrated message on the policies needed to successfully commercialize SMRs.
Who we are
SMR Start’s mission is to ensure the successful commercialization of SMRs by enabling the establishment of supportive policies; communicating the benefits and needs for SMRs; and fostering the resolution of generic institutional issues related to project development, design and engineering, licensing, and financing.
What we do
Establish industry’s strategy for commercialization of SMRs and coordinate with stakeholders on achieving the established goals.
- Serve as a trusted resource for inquiries by legislators, administrative offices, and regulators related to SMRs.
- Develop information that is needed to enable industry, governmental entities and others to establish policies and reach decisions related to SMR development and deployment.
- Identify the potential need for and benefits of government support and public-private partnerships for SMRs.
- Promote development of U.S. SMR designs and supportive domestic supply chains for deployment of U.S. technologies both domestic and abroad.
- Apply “lessons learned” from recent new plant development to SMR designs and projects.
AREVA, Bechtel, BWXT, Dominion, Duke Energy, Energy Northwest, GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy, Fluor, Holtec International, NuScale Power, Ontario Power Generation, PSEG Nuclear, Southern Nuclear, TVA, and UAMPS